Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sesame Ginger Chicken and a Belgian Beer

I grill often.  And when I grill I like to have a beer of five.  My first choice would be a nice dark Belgian and thus I bring to you Golden Drak.  This beer had some punch and a 10.5 abv it certainly delivered.  


For the chicken I simply got a whole chicken, removed the backbone, neck and innards in which I made a rich stock by roasting the bones for 40 minutes in the oven and then adding carrots, celery, leek, onion, garlic, fennel, bay leaf, peppercorn, salt, and water.  Brought it to a boil and simmered until reduced by half.


Chicken was simple, cut into two halves, trimmed any unnecessary fat and made a slit in the skin and slipped the leg into in so that it made a nice bundled bird.  Brined the bird in a honey, ginger, soy, sesame oil brine for 24 hours.


Meanwhile, I made a glaze/marinade which was sort of like a classic teriyaki with a bit of a twist.  First I added equal parts chicken stock and soy sauce in a saucepan along with minced ginger and sugar.  Let this mixture reduce by far and then add minced garlic and slurry of corn starch and water and reduce by half again.  When it is all said and done, the consistency should be like a loose glaze.  Once cooled stir in the sesame oil.  There is your marinade/glaze.


The next morning I took the chicken out of the brine, rinsed under cold water and patted dry.  Then used half the marinade/glaze and marinaded the chicken in it until cooking time.


Ready to grill.  Get that grill hot as fuck, I am talking loaded with charcoal and to the point where your can not even put your hand near it.  Charcoal should be on opposite sides of the grill.  Sear the chicken and then place the chicken in the middle for indirect heat.  Grab another cold one and continue to drink beer.  Continually glazed the chicken every 15 minutes until the chicken is done.  TIME TO EAT.  Should be served with white rice (preferably short grain) and serve with some pickled ginger (benny shoga) and maybe some pickled diakon as well.


If you want an ingredient list, let me know.


Photobucket

Searing the chicken







Photobucket

Pouring a cold one








Photobucket

Drinking my beer while grilled, repeat as necessary




Photobucket

Finshed, time to get another beer and eat

No comments:

Post a Comment