Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ

So we were in the area near Victoria Gardens and decided to give this place a try. More like a desparation spot because we really couldn't decide where to eat.

Anyways, we got there with no reservation so the wait was like 40 minutes. 20 minutes later we get a call on my cell phone and the host from the place saying that our table is just about ready.

Great news since I was starving!!!

We ordered the all you can eat meal from some strange reason.

First they start you off with a GYU-KAKU SALAD.

Photobucket

The salad was actually very good. Probably one of the best items of the evening. The dressing is what made the salad, some sort of sweet miso style Japanese dressing. Very good start.


Then they start you off with an appetizer assortment containing EDAMAME, FRIED CALAMARI, CHICKEN KARAAGE, TON KATSU, KIM-CHEE, and some other small korean small dishes.

Photobucket

Out of all of them, the little seaweed was probably the most appetizing. (Sorry I don't know the name but it is usually served at most Korean tofu houses) All the fried food tasted frozen packaged food, which might possibly be the case.


Then came the assortment of SUSHI ROLLS including SPICY TUNA, CALIFORNIA ROLL, CRUNCH ROLL, AND ANOTHER WITH SALMON.

Photobucket

This was just awful, the rice was really gummy which ruined any chance of it tasting halfway decent. I love sushi, but I never order California Roll or anything like that because to me artificial crab and avocado is not really sushi. When I think sushi, I am thinking Yellowtail, Bluefin tuna, Uni and other delectable fish.


Next came the GARLIC FRIED NOODLES.

Photobucket

This was probably the second best thing I had all night. The criticism I have is that the noodles were kind of gummy as well and greasy, but the flavor of the dish made up for it. Really garlicky.


Lastly was the meat, HARAMI MISO BEEF, SPICY MISO CHICKEN, GARLIC KALBI, and GARLIC SPINACH.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The harami beef was really really sweet. I had to drink a sip of water every time I took a bite of it. Salty as well. The garlic kalbi was bland and all it taste like was garlic. The garlic was so overpowering that you couldn't taste the meat. The chicken was probably the best out of all the meats, a little sweet and spicy enough for my tastes.

All in all, not very good and overpriced on top of it. I don't think I will be back, I'll stick with YOUNG DONG.

No comments:

Post a Comment