Saturday, August 8, 2009

Din Tai Fung - Arcadia, CA

Ok, so we were driving in SGV and decided to grab a bite to eat. Out of the corner of my eye, I see that there is no line at Din Tai Fung so I was like "Oh Yes". I have been here many times and every time has been a delight.

This is the first time I actually blogged about it because I usually eat the food before I get a chance to take any pictures.

First we started off with the famous Xiao Long Bao for which Din Tai Fung is most popularly known for. Probably every table gets them. To me, I rarely get them because other items I will discuss later on are far superior. But I ordered them just because I thought there might be a glimmer of improvement since my visit.


Photobucket

Lets just say, they were the same. Although I enjoy them, I feel like I can go a few blocks down and get ones with a more intense pork flavor for $2 less. Needless to say, I should have gone with the regular routine and not ordered them, but I am slightly retarded in that sense. But if it is your first time frequenting Din Tai Fung I would highly suggest ordering them as your taste buds may differ from mine on this particular dish.

With that being said, lets get on with the goods.

Our second dish, which just so happens to be my favorite dumpling at Din Tai Fung is the Pork and Shrimp Shaomai. This is a rendition of a shumai except it has the effect of a Xiao Long Bao (soupy filling and bun like shape)

Photobucket

Now I don't know where in the hell Din Tai Fung gets their shrimp, but these damn things have so much flavor. And I am not just saying this, these little fuckers got some intense shrimp flavor. I mean I have had shrimp in the priciest restaurants but damn. The pork also lets out the soup broth which only adds to the luscious flavor of the dumpling. By far the best and most expensive item on the menu, but well worth it. I also want to add that they are pretty large in size compared to the xiao long bao.

Our next dish is the Shrimp Fried Rice. I know, fried rice at a chinese restaurant. But this fried rice is extraordinary.

Photobucket

I have had my fair share of fried rice and this has to be my all time favorite. We usually get the pork chop over fried rice but decided to just get the shrimp instead. I have to say, this proved to be a stellar choice. Again the super flavorful shrimp along with the aromatic touch of green onion permeated with aroma. I have no idea what they do to the fried rice, but the green onion flavor comes through so intense. The egg perfectly done and the shrimp, who could forget those shrimp. Best in LA!!!

Our next dish was something new, which always brought some curiosity upon me. Those would be the Chicken Dumplings.

Photobucket

I have never tried these before and from my experience, they were just okay. I could have easily just ordered another pork and shrimp shaomai but chose these instead. There is nothing wrong with them. I am just one of those people that loves pork in their dumplings.

Overall, another satisfied customer. I didn't take any pictures of it, but before you leave don't forget to get some Pork Buns on the way out for later. I reheated those bad boys in the microwave and "wooo weee". When the pork juice leaches out into the dough it is like a big bite of porky heaven.



No comments:

Post a Comment