Sunday, June 19, 2011

Balthazar

One of my favorite French restaurants in New York; mainly because it is located in SOHO and I am always down there to shop, and they serve up some tasty French classics and reasonable fares.  


Seemingly enough, I usually have brunch or lunch at Balthazar, so dinner it was this time.  At around $30-$40 an entree, it will probably run you about $50-$60 a head with alcohol.  


Definitely make a reservation just in case, it was a Tuesday and the place filled up as we sat there.  


I ordered the Steak Frites which was a NY Steak with pommes frites and house bearnaise sauce.  Definitely a great dish; steak was perfectly cooked and nice a juicy, frites were some of the best in the world, and the bearnaise was just that awesome.  


Photobucket

Steak Frites with Bearnaise


There was a seasonal special with soft shell crab at nearly every restaurant in New York, and Balthazar was no exception.  They offered their take on a BLT with the crab.  It was not a sandwich, but rather a deconstructed version all foofooed up with bibb lettuce, a damn tasty dressing, brioche croutons, bacon and fresh maryland blue crab.  Another winner. Order it when on the menu, you won't regret it.


Photobucket

Soft Shell Crab "BLT"


Also forgot to mention, those are fried green tomatoes.  Another reason for you to stuff your face with this dish.


The experience however was one to remember, the wait staff was absolutely terrible.  We got some really really snooty kid who looked like a douche.  Bad service and poor attitude inclined me to tip his deadass a measly 10%.  I would have given him less because he did not even deserve the dirt stuck on the bottom of my shoe, but my dining companion would not let me leave my original amount (a whole nickel).  I guess tips now a days are implied, except mine, they are earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment