Wednesday, July 13, 2011

BBQ Chicken

Whole Foods has some Mary's Whole Chickens on sale so I grabbed a few.  I decided on bustin out the grill for these since I had some cherry wood and a couple nice Belgian beers.  

I first did a dry marinade with a special rub blend that consists of a brown sugar/paprika base with some special spices like oregano, cinnamon, and some other stuff that I don't really feel like sharing.  Take your chicken and with a sharp knife remove the backbone.  Rub the spice mixture all over so that the chicken rub is all over the chicken in every spot.  Marinade overnight in the fridge and let the rub settle in.  You can brine the bird if you want but since these were pretty good quality chickens, I wanted to taste the quality of the bird.  

Photobucket
Chicken after marinading for 24 hours

Light up the grill and cook that fucker for at least an hour so that the smoke will permeate the meat.  Add a couple of pieces of cherry wood or whatever your favorite wood is and set up for indirect cooking so that it doesn't burn.  Finished the chicken with 50/50 AdHoc BBQ sauce and homemade chicken stock I made the day before with the extra bones and innards.

Photobucket
Finished. Time to eat.


Photobucket
Dog eyeing my bird.  She is bad.


Photobucket
Patiently waiting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment